Thursday, August 8, 2013

therapeutic thursday - impermanence

- Frantz Fanon
Wall Piece with 200 Letters by Mikko Kuorinki
at Kiasma Contemporary Art Museum
Thinking about this quote right now is making me wish I used this in a college personal statement (I wish I was kidding because isn't it cliché to start any paper off with a quote nowadays?)

I had a conversation with a friend the other day and she feels like she's been in the same lane for the past years, with no real progression or milestone; whereas I feel like I've been in many lanes and still there is this great unknown of where I'm going (kind of like now, I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Stick with me...it'll all tie up...I think or I hope..?)

In high school I thought I had it all figured it out. I had this plan, this route that I was going to take to bring me to where I wanted to be, to a place I knew I wanted to be. By the time I entered college, I've taken several detours and experienced many yields. I started changing lanes. As I ventured out, everything I had known about myself was being challenged. I was losing a sense of self, I was gaining a sense of self. Not going according to plan would usually scare me, but I've learned to roll with anything that happens because everything that hasn't gone according to plan has still in the end brought me to a new understanding of myself.

You can be in the same lane, or in different lanes, but you are still moving with time and the world. I believe in impermanence. Nothing is really forever, nothing is ever really the same.

Constantly you're having to edit yourself and your life. At the moment, all the plans I had for this summer never transpired; however an unexpected opportunity arose and I took it. I'm not sure where it's going to take me, but I'm moving forward. I'm in it for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment